The Liebster is an award given from one blogger to another, usually with under 200 followers! It helps blogs discover each other, connect, and share some love! Here’s how this thang works.
The rules are simple:
1. You must link back to the person who nominated you.
2. You must answer the 10 questions given to you by the person who nominated you.
3. You must pick 10 bloggers to be nominated for the award.
4. You must create 10 questions for your nominees.
5. You must go to their blogs and notify the nominees.
First, here’s my answers to Niki’s Questions:
1. What is your favorite way to sweat?
My favorite way to sweat is in the water! My favorite thing on the planet is surfing some beautiful waves.
2. What song always gets you going?
The song, “Bun Dem” by Damian Marley & Skrillex always gets me going. It’s insanely addicting and always gets me moving.
3. How do you make it work?
I make it work by planning ahead. I make my lunches and meals ahead of time, plan at the grocery store, and schedule my workouts into my day. I give my health and fitness the same respect I’d give my job or plans with friends – I don’t flake out.
4. What is your mission in writing a blog?
My mission in writing a blog is to keep writing. It’s my number one love and passion, and it brings so many positives with it: connecting with new people, sharing experiences, and sharing my life with the world.
5. Does your faith play a part in any of your fitness/health journey?
Yes! (I love this question, by the way.) My faith plays a big part in my fitness/health journey because it shapes who I am and how I live my life. Taking care of myself feels like the right thing to do, since I’m blessed just to have woken up this morning. Plus, I feel closer to God after a tough run or perfect wave – as if He’s there, cheering me on.
6. Morning person or night owl?
I’m a morning person, 100%. I start work every day at 10 a.m. (which is awesome) so I like to wake up at 6 or 7 and go for a run, write or just relax. I love my mornings, especially if I get out to the water.
7. If you could visit anywhere in the world, where would it be?
Prague! It’s been my dream destination for as long as I can remember – and I’m going there in a few weeks! Yes, I’M GOING IN A FEW WEEKS! I. am. so. excited.
8. How did you get started on your fitness journey?
I got started on my fitness journey after I suffered through some health issues and realized eating clean and exercising were the only way to make it better. I also moved to Hawaii around the same time, so it was the perfect opportunity for a fresh start.
9. If you could buy one thing (fitness-related) and money was no object, what would it be?
I would buy a life-long personal trainer. To be fair, though, that’s a person, not necessarily a thing. To be honest there’s so many little fitness things I want I couldn’t choose just one!
10. What do you wish you could un-buy?
A ton of hot yoga Groupons I didn’t take advantage of.
Now, my answers to Sara’s Questions:
1. When did you first start on your fitness/health journey?
I first started on my fitness journey a few years ago! I’ve always been an athlete, but have always struggled with my weight and inner peace. When I met my fiancé and we moved across the ocean to Hawaii, I knew it was the perfect opportunity to craft the healthy, happy, positive life I’ve always wanted.
2. Where is your favorite place to exercise?
My fave place to workout is the beach. I’m a total water baby, so I love swimming, paddle boarding, diving, or running on the sand. My favorite routine is to go for a tough run on the beach, jump in the water, and then stretch out with some yoga.
3. Do you prefer to exercise alone, or with others?
It depends! I love running alone, but I do like to go to the gym and surf with friends. I view both running and yoga as an inward practice, so I like to do those solo.
4. What is your favorite type of music?
My favorite type of music is 90’s hip hop/neo soul. I love chilling out with some Erykah Badu, Lauryn Hill, Wu Tang, A Tribe Called Quest…that’s my jam.
5. Do you currently have a favorite song?
Right now, my favorite song is Wiggle by Jason Derulo & Snoop Dogg. It’s been stuck in my head for days, and I’m definitely pro-Snoop.
6. What motivates you to start or keep going when you just don’t feel like it?
When I’m struggling, looking back at how far I’ve come always keeps me going. It’s not just about aesthetics, either; it’s about how I feel, think, love, and see the world. Feeling great and knowing I’m helping make the world a better place (I’m veg/vegan) changes my perspective.
7. What is your favorite post-exercise meal?
My favorite post-exercise meal is a big salad full of veggies, seeds, avocado, some protein and good grains, like quinoa. If I’m feeling sassy, I also like to throw some fruit in there too. For dressing, I like to mix Miso, lime juice, low-sodium soy sauce and lots of spices.
8. Does faith or belief in a higher power play a role in your fitness/health journey?
Faith plays a huge role in my fitness/health journey! Taking care of myself and pushing past my limits makes me feel closer to God and the Universe around me. It’s a beautiful thing.
9. Where do you see yourself this time next year?
This time next year I see myself having completed a marathon (woot woot!) and hopefully training for a triathlon. I’ll also be in the crunch time of planning my wedding, which is both super exciting but nerve wracking.
10. One random fact about you that others may not know by reading your blog.
One random fact is that I’m a very spiritual person. I love connecting with God and the world around me, which is why I love doing all the things I do. I’m also a die-hard surfer, and I’ve felt the hand of God many times in the water. I’m thankful that I’ve made it out of a lot of situations and learned from them.
Without further ado, here are the lovely ladies I’ve nominated:
Kaytee from The Ramblings of Kaytee
Dana from Dana Bean is Getting Lean
Ebony from Every Healthy Day
Genevieve from Gratitude and Greens
Alice from A Healthy Nut
Megan from I Eat Therefore I Cook
Sandy from The Fit Foodie Eats
Nicole from The Girl Who Ran Everywhere
Linda from Gaining Life
Heather from Another Girl Runner
These are my questions for you!
1. What’s your fitness mantra?
2. If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?
3. Favorite way to break a sweat?
4. Where do you see yourself this time next year?
5. Favorite after-workout meal or snack?
6. What’s the biggest impact health/fitness have had on your life?
7. What’s your go-to healthy meal?
8. What’s your number one fitness goal?
9. Favorite workout song?
10. What motivates you to blog?
I look forward to reading your answers and getting to know some of you better!