I’ve seen quite a few articles lately about training like an athlete. Competitive athletes have a totally different mindset & approach to fitness; they view their bodies as machines, work outs as a way to fine-tune, and food as fuel to keep their engines humming. We mere mortals, on the other hand, tend to see things differently. Our bodies are stubborn things that won’t do what we want or cooperate. Workouts are often the answer to burning off last night’s brownies. And food? Yeah, that’s a different story.
I’ve been an athlete up until my last few years of college, so competition and training are pretty much in my blood. The only way I know how to workout is to make it competitive. While I’m technically still competing with myself, nothing gets me working harder than an actual event. Hence, today’s topic: races.
I wrote a post last week about Reebok’s Spartan Race, one of those crazy mud, rope and fire-filled events that require a six pack to participate. (Note – the giveaway for free entry is still on! To enter, click here!) Well, I’m competing in one this August on the island! It’s my first outdoor race, and my blood is already pumping as I’m re-drawing training plans and enlisting the help of friends that I’m usually too scared to work out with. It’s sparked the active diva within almost instantaneously. It doesn’t have to be an outdoor race – even a 5K is enough to get the competitive spirits flowing. There’s so many couch-to-5k/10k, half marathon, marathon, and training programs out there for events. Most of them are even free.
Why do an event?
- They gets you in the mindset of an athlete.
- They’re perfect motivation over a long (or short!) period of time.
- They’re fun and totally addicting.
- Your entrance fees go to charity.
- You get free stuff (coupons, gift cards, food, t-shirts, beer, etc.)
- You might get handed a beer at the end!
- They boost pride, confidence & self-esteem.
- You get to look like a badass on instagram/facebook/whatever, especially if you do an outdoor race.
- Just trust me, they’re worth it!
As noted, I’m still having a giveaway till Thursday for free entry into any Spartan Race! Click here to enter.
I also have a discount code for 15% off a Spartan Race! Ta-da: http://bit.ly/spartanwarrior